List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: WMFs in KWord
From:       shaheed <srhaque () iee ! org>
Date:       2002-01-23 2:23:01

On Tuesday 22 January 2002 7:59 am, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 02:00:05PM +0100, David Faure wrote:
> > On Monday 21 January 2002 11:40, Clarence Dang wrote:
> > > They are only "Standard Windows Metafiles", with a bitmap in them.
> >
> > A bitmap !?
>
> Yes, WMF is (see middle letter) capable of containing BMPs. But that is
> IIRC mostly used for the preview.
> At least that is something I remember shaheed telling me some time ago.

No, it turned out to be waaay worse than that. Nearly all bitmaps included in
MS Word are wrapped in a WMF first. That's actually one of the main reasons
for the existence of kwmf. And the WMFs are sometimes then wrapped in MSOD
(!!!). That, for example, is why the msod filter class is (privately) derived
from kwmf.

I would love to meet the "designers" of this architecture...

Thanks, Shaheed