List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    WMFs in KWord
From:       Clarence Dang <CTRL_CD () bigpond ! com>
Date:       2002-01-21 10:40:59

Hi,

I have a few questions about WMFs in KWord (as the subject line suggests :)):

1. What is the difference between a PIXMAP and CLIPART?

AFAIK, CLIPART is basically just WMFs and PIXMAPS are everything else.
But why not just group them together in one category?
I fail to see why the user should have to decide between "Choose Image" and
"Choose Clipart"?  Is a piece of clipart, not an image? :)

I'm asking this because I have to write extra code to deal with this
distinction between WMFs and BMPs and it looks ugly :(
And because it's a bit of a UI issue too, IMHO.

2. What is the status of KWord's WMF support?

I created a Write document with an image and got my import filter to import
it.  KWord displayed a blank image.  The same WMF generated by the filter is
displayed perfectly by Word97.  If I try to insert the generated WMF into
KWord, it doesn't work either.

I'm pretty sure that KWord's WMF code works because it can read all the
clipart from Word97 :)  Does anyone know why it can't read my WMFs?
They are only "Standard Windows Metafiles", with a bitmap in them.

Thanks!
Clarence