List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Portable Code (am I dreaming? :))
From:       shaheed <srhaque () iee ! org>
Date:       2002-01-15 23:32:41

Hi Clarence,

Nicolas already said it all, nealry. I'd just like to add:

> How do I test my code, without having the target system?
> I only have ix86 systems.

With QDataStream, it *will* be portable. Others will help testing it...there
are quie a few people using Sparc (which will debug endianness) and Alpha
(which will catch most alignment issues by default).

> > > With non-portable expressions like these, which make assumptions on
> > > data type sizes and byte ordering and bit ordering...

Luckily for us, MS had to make this stuff work on Macs. Since the 68k is
bigendian and requies natural alignment, MS have solved this problem "de
jure" in their specs provided you simply use a little endian QDatastream.

The Excel and Powerpoint filters have good examples of this stuff (as does wmf
and msod too).

Thanks, Shaheed