List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Thoughts about the "Open document" dialog
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-01-15 15:51:58

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 01:45:57PM +0100, Werner Trobin wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> >
> > On Sunday 13 January 2002 13:24, Werner Trobin wrote:
> > > I assume the way MS does it is least surprising to users. On startup
> > > it loads some default template (configurable?) and on File -> New it
> > > pops up the template dialog.
> >
> > Yes but we won't be able to do this until we provide a way to choose the
> > default paper size. I plan to reorganize templates and to add UI for that one
> > day.
>
> The KControl module for Country & Language has an "Other" tab
> (very good name :) now, which allows setting a default paper
> size and preferred measure system. Isn't that enough for our
> purpose?

I don't like to remove the initial dialog; most users who use Word have no idea
how to make a document non-standard sized. We have a lot more options and possible
templates the user can use/select/download. This would be lost to 95% of the
users.
I have a fax-template on my HD for instance which is easy to use and will one
day be added to a "special" templates tab in KWord. I hate to see KWord used only
for blank-default-templates.

Please keep the initial dialog.