List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Thoughts about the "Open document" dialog
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-01-13 14:59:51

On Sunday 13 January 2002 13:45, Werner Trobin wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> >
> > On Sunday 13 January 2002 13:24, Werner Trobin wrote:
> > > I assume the way MS does it is least surprising to users. On startup
> > > it loads some default template (configurable?) and on File -> New it
> > > pops up the template dialog.
> >
> > Yes but we won't be able to do this until we provide a way to choose the
> > default paper size. I plan to reorganize templates and to add UI for that
one
> > day.
>
> The KControl module for Country & Language has an "Other" tab
> (very good name :) now, which allows setting a default paper
> size and preferred measure system. Isn't that enough for our
> purpose?

Yes, but we still need to ensure that all templates are available in all
common paper sizes (apparently only A4 and Letter are necessary),
and that apps can find out the filename for a given template+paper size
combination. For instance TwoColumns_A4 and TwoColumns_Letter, the template
dialog would have a single icon TwoColumns, and on the side, a pair of
radiobuttons for choosing A4 vs Letter, defaulting to the KControl size.
(The radiobuttons are important so that 1) it's possible to create an A4
document in the US too, 2) people without kdebase can still choose a paper
size).
Then the "start with empty document" can use either PlainText_A4 or
PlainText_Letter, instead of the current PlainText template which is A4 only.

This is the only way I see that allows to select paper sizes independently
from the kind of template, without having to introduce some sort of formula
language within the templates themselves :}. The downside is that we'll end
up with N*M templates - I hope that M (the number of supported paper sizes
in the initial dialog) will remain equal to 2...

Comments?

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david, http://www.konqueror.org
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops