List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Need help with mswrite.desktop
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-04 10:08:26

Clarence Dang wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jan 2002 20:17, Werner Trobin wrote:
> [snipped]
> > Clarence Dang wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Let's see...
> >
> > > 3. Does it belong in kdelibs/mimetypes/application or somewhere else?
> >
> > For now I suggest to call it x-mswrite.desktop (please also rename the
> > MimeType field to say application/x-mswrite) and put it into the
> > same directory as your filter. I'd say it's an application mimetype,
> > so you have to add something like:
> >
> > kdemime_DATA = x-mswrite.desktop
> > kdemimedir = $(kde_mimedir)/application
> >
> > ...to your Makefile.am to get it installed correctly. (check the abiword
> > filter if in doubt).
> >
> Just wondering but why the "x-"?  I see a lot of other filetypes with it but
> I've always wondered what it meant (something to do with XFree?).

IIRC it's there for non-official mimetypes. Adding the x- should be
safe :)

> Also, why should it be put in the same directory as the filter, and not
> kdelibs (aren't all filetypes supposed to be stored in kdelibs)?.

Depends. The "most important" ones are stored there. Additional mimetypes
are stored in the filter's directory.
Dunno if MS Write qualifies for being added to kdelibs. It doesn't make
much sense to have it installed without the filter, though, so I think
we shouldn't put it there.

> > > 4. How do we associate .wri files with KWord?
> >
> > You need to create a .desktop file for your filter. This is done by every
> > KOffice filter, just have a look at all those funny looking files like
> > filters/kword/abiword/kword_abiword_import.desktop. Here you also just
> > have to supply the Name to get all translations. Then you have to specify
> > input/output mimetypes and so on. It should be quite straightforward.
> >
> Umm, what I mean by "associate" is when the user clicks on a .wri file, it
> automatically pops up KWord, instead of asking what application do they want
> to open the file with.  How do I do this?

Ahh, misunderstanding :)
You have to add the mimetype to the ServiceTypes line in KWord's
desktop file (koffice/kword/kword.desktop).

Ciao,
Werner