List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    MSWord's strange linespacing (was: KWord's strange linespacing)
From:       Karl-Heinz Zimmer <khz () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-12-18 11:39:18

On Tuesday 11 December 2001 10:57, Clarence Dang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems that KWord's linespacing is different to everyone else's (MS)

Sorry, but 'MS' is _not_ "everyone else".

> implementation of linespacing.  If you look at the attachment, which sh=
ows
> KWord on the left and MSWrite on the right (running in Wine :), you can
> see that Microsoft aligns their text to the bottom of the linespacing,
> while KWord aligns it to the top.
>
> This is a problem because this makes my filter (mswrite) not perfect!!!=
 :)

By adding additional exclamation marks you gain nothing but raized eyebro=
ws.

Of course there is a problem with this different behaviour, but that's ho=
it is: there _are_ different programs in this world.

Creating an 'exact' import or export filter from/to MS products is not
possible - only creating one that gets very near to the original layout.

Imagine for example the fundamental difference of MSWrite (or MSWord) bei=
ng
old silly stuff, while KWord is a modern, elegant program using technics
the MS people could never use (since this would result in them throwing a=
way
their layout engine and having to re-write 70% of their code).

A modern, true frame oriented program like KWord can never have a 100%
import or export filter towards an MS program like MSWord or MSWrite.

> i.e. in the attachment, both sides are supposed to look exactly the sam=
> since they're from the same document (if the filter was perfect, of
> course).

Your 'of course' is the problem: per definitionem MSFilters can't be perf=
ect.

> So why does KWord align the text in "<LINESPACING>" different to MS?

So why do you perfer strawberry ice while like most vanilla?

This is a world full of motivated programmers that have many good ideas
- their least wish is to follow the path's that were gone bei MS before
- they just want to write their own good software and often the result
  looks and behaves different from old MS stuff.  (I like it that way. :)=
)

> Some (other) MSWord/MS-whatever user will probably soon notice and
> complain if this isn't changed... :)

And this complaining "MSWord/MS-whatever user" will stop KOffice develope=
rs
to be their best?

Now KOffice developers will start thinking: Oh, we must change this, Oh w=
cannot do that because otherwise we will not be able to import/export tha=
MS shi^H^H^Hdocuments!

You aren't seriously proposing to change the design of KWord to make it
'think' more like MSWrite or MSWord, do you?

<rolling on the floor, laughing>

Karl-Heinz