List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    KOffice Lib/KDE/Qt Questions
From:       Clarence Dang <CTRL_CD () bigpond ! com>
Date:       2001-11-13 9:54:46

Hello...

As you may be aware, I'm developing an import fitler for KWord but I am
completely new to KOffice, Linux and KDE.  So I was wondering if anyone would
be able to please answer some of my questions below:

1. It seems that I cannot call "bool KoStore::write( const char* _data,
unsigned long _len )" more than once.  I thought that it would have acted a
bit like fwrite where you can call it more than once.  I mean, if I can't
call it more than once, I would have to accumulate all my output into one
huge string and then call KoStore::write at the end.  Isn't this hopelessly
inefficient?

2. How do I convert a QString into a C String?  I currently use "(char *)
QCString (myqstring.utf8 ())" but surely there is a better way...

3. The ASCII Import filter has a line something like "KoStore out = KoStore
(QString (outfilename), KoStore::Write);".  This would be equivalent to:

KoStore out ();
out = KoStore (QString (outfilename), KoStore::Write);

Why doesn't this "equivalent" version compile?

4. With kdDebug() and friends, how do I "register" a debug area with KDE i.e.
so that I can call kdDebug(mydebugarea) for my particular filter (mswrite)?

Thanks in advance!
Clarence