List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Filter breakage
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-10-17 21:38:21

On Mercredi 17 Octobre 2001 22:09, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 10:01:54PM +0200, Werner Trobin wrote:
> > Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> >
> > We even need the check before. We don't want to show a not available
> > filter in the file dialog...
> >
> > > I am thinking about something like a "plugin manager" or somehting like
> > > "kappfinder".
> >
> > I really think we should try to avoid that. Let's see how slow it gets,
> > and if it really makes a difference we can still go for a static solution.
> > IMHO this is not as user friendly, tho.
>
> I am wondering why you need this check, IMO the only reason is if you install
> a filter that needs a certain library on the system. Where KWord can be that
> library, but libXML can be as well..

In the case of an openoffice filter wrapper, it's even a binary, not a library,
that we want to check for. So you install KOffice, it installs the openoffice-filter-wrapper,
which is a very small KoFilter.... this doesn't tell you whether the real openoffice filter
is installed or not. So you need to ask the filter at runtime, and it'll return ok
only if openoffice is indeed installed.

http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~david/ , http://www.konqueror.org/
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops