List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    kformula: see what you can get, it's not much anyway.
From:       Ulrich Kuettler <ulrich.kuettler () mailbox ! tu-dresden ! de>
Date:       2001-10-07 14:12:31

Hi,

thanks to kotext/kozoomhandler (that is thanks to David) kformula is now more
friendly when it comes to zooming. These are the good news.

The bad part is that I didn't get the symbol font to work. There is a symbol
font on every system. It comes with X11, it comes with ghostscript. It's the
default font for symbols in kformula. (Yes, there are plans to support better
fonts but that's another story.)

The difficulty is the non-standard encoding of this font. With Qt2 you could
tell QFont to use "any charset". The glyph were available then by their
native number (0-255). However it didn't work reliable in most cases and not
at all with anti aliased fonts. I never tried this, though.

Qt3 doesn't support the "any charset" option anymore. And I cannot find a way
to get to the glyph. Between 128 and 255 is nothing but garbage and the
unicode values (see below) don't help either. Maybe I've missed something
simple or my configuration is wrong. I've no idea. Does anyone know where to
look for information or whom to ask? What's qt's idea about the symbol font?

thanks,
Uli

PS: To see the symbol font on your box try

There also is a nice page that shows the unicode values to those symbol font
glyph: http://www.dessci.com/support/tech/encodings/symbol.htm