List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Scripting of kword and other office applications
From:       Joseph Wenninger <jowenn () bigfoot ! com>
Date:       2001-09-25 18:47:58

Hi

I really like the idea of the DCop interfaces, but I don't think they are
really userfull. It could by that I'm to silly, but I can't even add a table
with 3 columns and 2 rows to a kword file from within a script (bash). I
think it is a nice feature that all actions are  exported, but what is it
good for, if the only action (which I found) for inserting a table is the
view's insert_table action, which pops up an modal dialog, so that kword
doesn't react to any further dcop calls, till this dialog is closed by the
user.

Is there something planned to build a real usefull, standardized dcop
interface for koffice applications, which eg doesn't show popupdialogs, but
provides functioncalls like insert_table(columns,rows,inline) ?? I think in
this area there should be something done to improve usability. M$Office VBA
is usfull (despite the security issues), but koffice is far behind.

It could be that I'm just too silly, or that the koffice features are just to
badly documented. If I misinterpreted the current scripting situation in
koffice the wrong way, than I'm sorry, but I'm quite stressed and at the end
of nerves, trying to use kword as some kind of report generator, which would
be quite easy in M$ Word to do

Kind regards
Joseph Wenninger