List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] filter redesign
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-09-11 12:45:28

On Monday 10 September 2001 21:02, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
|   On Monday, 10. September 2001 21:08, Thomas Zander wrote:
[...]
|   > > 	virtual buildFooter(...);
|   > > 	virtual buildParagraph(...);
|   > > 	virtual buildTable(...);
|   >
|   >     don't forget that this method needs a created paragraph as an
|   > argument. (actually an ID, see below)
|
|   You cannot have this! <TABLE> cannot be a child of <P> according to
| strict DTD of HTML 4.01.

I was wondering for some time why HTML exported by KWord, always was using
<P> ... </P> for every paragraph.
While at a first glance it seems logical, almost for every paragraph you
redefine style (font size, color, font name, etc.)
It's much more convinient to use DIV, instead of <P>, for every paragraph.
Then you don't have such limitations.

At a moment, you just can't have nested paragraphs :-((
It's a real limitation for page layouting, IMO.
Changing P to DIV allows to fix it.

As KWord uses XML internally, I do not think that implementing such changes
will be difficult.

BTW: I found serious inconsistance when view exported from KWord HTML in
different browsers.
Reason: KHTML uses to much space *before* and *after* <P> (about 1em in each
case), while Mozilla - only half of it.
So IMO it's not good to count *default* behavior/style for P tag, it's better
to define it each time (or to have extra option for this)
--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)