List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Suggestion concerning storage format
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2001-09-03 15:24:52

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 11:55:23AM +0200, Stephan Mueller wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> I searched the mailing list archive, but I could not find an answer to the
> following question:

Then you did not search very well, this subject was going on on 3 lists some weeks
ago.
kde-look
kde-core-devel
koffice(-devel?)

> IMHO it would be nice to use the koffice docs together with CVS. This enables
> an easy maintenance of documents which requre version control. And since the
> basic storage format is XML -> ASCII, it is well suitable for CVS.

XML is not ASCII, its utf, for latin1 texts you won't find to many problems, but
as soon as you start to type other characters its becoming a binairy file...

But I don't think CVS will have to many problems with that. ;)

> Therefore:
> Wouldn't it be nice to allow the user to save the documents in a not gzipped
> format? And propably adding a CVS adding/retrieving frontend to kofficecore?
> Prehaps the classes, dealing with CVS, out of kdevelop may be used for this
> task here too?

IIRC someone is making a cvs kio-slave which makes this transparent to use.