List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: using kword and cvs?
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2001-08-26 19:31:10

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 08:37:26PM +0200, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> On Saturday, 25. August 2001 23:30, David Faure wrote:
> > On Saturday 25 August 2001 22:46, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, it is not what it is used in KWord's export filters
> > > derived from the ASCII one (i.e. all but Latex.) Here mostly the variable
> > > is intialised to -1, and if it is still -1, then the result is
> > > "discarded".
> >
> > But the DTD will say "the default value for this field is _this_".
> > So it's not in the XML spec, but it'll be in KWord's DTD spec.
> >
> > > This is to simulate that "" is not the same as "0". A "0" is a real zero,
> > > "" is just that the value is not specified. "" can mean a default but not
> > > necessarly zero. See KWord's <WEIGHT> tag, which attribute value defaults
> > > to 50.
> >
> > Right, good example. This one would default to 50, and that would be in the
> > DTD (but this is hypotetical, we're talking about paragraph layout here,
> > weight isn't part of it).
> > The idea is simply "the default for simple plain text", i.e. no counter, no
> > margins, left align, etc.
> >
> > > That is what most of KWord export filter (as I said before: not Latex) do
> > > use right now! And not the supposed default to zero!
> >
> > Then it will need fixing.
>
> It seems that I have misunderstood a little the original problem.
>
> If the idea is to transform:
>    <LINESPACING value="0" />
> into
>   <LINESPACING/>
> then I have no problem with it as long as it is in KWord's DTD.
>
> Probably, the export filters will not have any problem either.
>
> I have misread it, as if the whole element should go away (e.g. instead of
> <LINESPACING> just nothing) and as if <FORMAT> would be touched in this way
> too.

You have not read wrongly, we intend to leave a number of tags out of the generated
XML if the value is the default value (which will be stated in the DTD, if you
so will)

But again; there is _no_ problem, if the removall will cause trouble, then
the filters will have to be fixed. (since they should do this allready
even if it is not printed in the DTD)

First thing I will do is update the DTD then, so the filters can be brought
up-to-speed on this.

But I am working on a new tabs-dialog at the moment, so this will have to
wait a little.