List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: using kword and cvs?
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2001-08-25 19:36:30

On Saturday, 25. August 2001 10:13, David Faure wrote:
> On Saturday 25 August 2001 00:43, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > I would prefer if the export filter could tell somehow in its .desktop
> > file if it wants the full or the small format.
> >[...]
>
> I thought about this, and NO, we don't want to have two KWord file formats.
> It would completely break koconverter (command-line conversion tool). One
> couldn't convert a previously saved document !

Okay, if it is so much work, it does not solve our problem, which needs a
solution very soon.

> > Also perhaps a user should have the possibility to force the save in the
> > full format if he needs it, for example for an import filter of a
> > non-KOffice application that cannot handle yet the newest simplifications
> > in KWord's format.
>
> See, if it goes up to annoying the user, it's a very bad solution.

If the user cannot import the KWord file in the foreign program, he will not
be happy either. And there is as much chances that he blames KOffice than
that he blames his other program.

> > > This would be the best way for KWord (and for small XML files), but as
> > > I said it would break (and make more complex) export filters. If the
> > > export filters writers are ready to update their filters appropriately,
> > > I'm all for this change....
> >
> > Quickly browsing through the code of KWord's export filters, I have not
> > found any use of the style. So I do not think that forcing export filters
> > to handle style is the way to go.
>
> We seem to all agree on that. Hence the suggested solution: having all
> filters default to 0 when looking for an attribute - that's very very easy,

Sorry, but where does this is writen in any recommendation? I would know it
very much. I cannot find it and can even give counter-examples. And I am
talking here about XML ( http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml ) and not about what
DOM (Document Object Model) makes from it.

Look at QXmlAttributes::value (src/xml/qxml.cpp, line 767 in QT3 2001-08-22)
which gives a QString::null as return value. For me, it is not the same as
"0". And no, it is not a bug in QT! A CDATA attribute do default to an empty
string if implied.

> no need for a transition period in the lifetime of the filter. All code
> reading XML should do that anyway, I agree with Thomas on that.

NO! Any SAX interface (like QT's) does not do like this!

Have a nice day/evening/night!