List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: using kword and cvs?
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-08-24 20:20:16

On Friday 24 August 2001 22:17, Thomas Zander wrote:
> The following are redundant IMO (and have nothing to do with styles)
Nothing to do with styles ??? All of those can be saved in the style !

>      <INDENTS/>
>      <OFFSETS/>
>      <LINESPACING value="0" />
>      <PAGEBREAKING/>
>      <LEFTBORDER width="0" style="0" />
>      <RIGHTBORDER width="0" style="0" />
>      <TOPBORDER width="0" style="0" />
>      <BOTTOMBORDER width="0" style="0" />
>      <COUNTER/>
>
> The following are 0, something which every good XML parser can default
> to if the tags are not there; therefor I think they can be left as well.

You didn't understand my (admittedly nebulous) explanation.
Imagine you have a paragraph whose style is "Bullet point", but for
some reason you removed the bullet point on that particular paragraph
(yes, you hate it when people do that, but it's entirely permitted).
The style will say "counter==bullet point", the paragraph has to say "counter==0",
otherwise, when loading, the style's counter will be used.

[This fact (the style's layout being used by default when loading) was
introduced by Shaheed to make it easier for import filters (like the winword
filter), that define styles, so that they don't have to repeat everything in
each parag). It also makes it easier to write the XML by hand, many things
being omitted.]

Understand that if you omit saving "counter==0" because it's 0, then when loading
you'll get a bullet point, whereas you don't want one.

Two options then:
- saving ALL parameters, as we currently do
- saving only the parameters that differ from the **STYLE** (not from '0').
This would be the best way for KWord (and for small XML files), but as I said it would
break (and make more complex) export filters. If the export filters writers are ready
to update their filters appropriately, I'm all for this change....

(I hope this is the last time I explain this problem :)