List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: using kword and cvs?
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-08-23 19:33:54

On Thursday 09 August 2001 20:47, Christian Engwer wrote:
> Hi David,
Hello,
sorry for the delay, I was on holidays.

> We want to use kword for a big Projekt
> (the Sozialhandbuch
>  http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/stud/fsk/referate/soziales/sozhb01/
>  several hundred pages).
> Till now we had to use winword (*grr*), but now we want to change
> everything. We need a wordprocessor which is able to store the data in
> format suitable for diff. We would like to access the dokument also
> from other applications (like php-skripts etc.).
>
> Now I had the idea to use kword, store the data in a cvs-repository
> (in the end).

> For being able to stuff the file in a repositry I would
> need the ''files'' inside the TarStore. I would like to include in
> koffice an easy way to store thre files not in TarStore, but in a real
> directory.
> My first idea was to patch the KoStore class to read/write to a
> directory. Do you have any suggestions, how this should be done in the
> proper way, or where to find info? Or do you perhaps have an even
> better solution to write the files to the cvs-repository?

Having a kioslave for handing the CVS protocol would be the best way.
AFAIK someone has already started this.

But to checking in individual files separately (among those usually going to the tarfile),
you are right, only hacking KoStore can do that. Maybe a koffice-wide option "save
as a directory vs. save as a tar file", to select which behaviour should be activated.

The best design for this code would be to inherit your class and the current KoStore
class from a common ancestor that would define the interface and have some
common code. This used to be the case at some point (when we had a KoBinaryStore
and a KoTarStore), and I stupidly got rid of that. Shouldn't have.
See "cvs update -pr1.16 koStore.h" for the implementation-independent interface
that we used to have. We might want to switch back to something like this, it was
a good idea after all :}