List:       koffice
Subject:    Fwd: Application Ideas (was Re: Should kpaint stay in KDE 2.2/ Future of Killustrator?)
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-01 14:41:48

Subject: Re: Application Ideas (was Re: Should kpaint stay in KDE 2.2/
Future of Killustrator?)
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 14:07:46 -0400
From: Sean Harmer <Sean.Harmer@btinternet.com>
To: kde-devel@kde.org

On Wednesday 01 August 2001 7:18 am, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 1. August 2001 16:22 schrieb Vadim Plessky:
> > BTW: I appreciate a lot idea of having DTP package for KDE.
> > And agree with Thomas Diehl that Ventura Publisher should be taken
> > as a reference implementation (not Quark Xpress or Adobe InDesign)
> > I haven't seen PageMaker 7.0 yet (released just in July 2001), but
> > it can be also good package.
> > Pagemaker always was more Graphic Artists-oriented (booklets,
> > brochures, 1-10 pages) while Ventura is excellent for multi-page
> > publications (books, newspapers, etc.; everything with size of 100+
> > pages should be done in Ventura) .
>
> You are right as to the original Ventura Publisher. More recent
> versions (7 and esp. 8) made it a real all-around package though.
> Personally, I think the best one there is, by far. (And being a
> one-man DTP shop I also know XPress, PageMaker, InDesign, and
> FrameMaker.)
>
> For (German) Ventura examples running from graphic intensive leaflets
> through full color magazines to books and database publishing stuff
> see http://www.dtp-service.com/ventura/beispiele/ (clicking on the
> thumbnails in the right frame gives you a PDF version).
>
> For a feature overview done by an enthusiastic user see
> http://www.dtp-service.com/ventura/ueber_vp/10_reasons.html
>
> Regards,
>
> Thomas

Hi Guys,

I have started (very recently) to piece together some ideas for a
 KVentura type DTP program that could be part of KOffice. So far all I
 have is some very rough outlines - largely based on the Ventura way of
 doing things. I have also started work on a DTD for the xml file
 format. As soon as I have something worth looking at I'll try and get
 it put into the koffice cvs. I don't know how long this will take as I
 am trying to get my Ph.D. thesis finished ASAP.

If anybody has knowledge/examples of the freetype 2 library - esp.
 getting it to paint on qt widgets etc.  I would be very grateful for
 some pointers.

I truly believe that this is the type application that could pull all
 of koffice together just like Ventura pulls a word processor (Word
 perfect, Word etc), Draw and PhotoPaint together in the Windows world.
 Obviously Professional DTP in a WYSIWYG environment is a glaring
 omission from *nix systems.

Please contact me if you have any ideas/help to offer.

Many thanks,

	Sean Harmer