List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: RTF and KWord
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-07-23 23:13:09

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 12:55:21AM +0200, Tomasz Grobelny wrote:
> I have several questions concerning RTF and KWord:
> 1. Is there anyone writing an RTF import filter for KWord?

Two persons actually :)
Hopefully they're sorting this out right now (merging or deciding
which filter is the one to use for the future :)
There is the start of a filter in CVS, written by mikej@xnet.com (Michael Johnson).
There is a second, independant, apparently more advanced filter, written by
Ewald Snel <ewald@rambo.its.tudelft.nl>.

Apparently you were thinking of starting a 3rd one ? Don't, but if you could
join their effort that would be great :)

> If not:
> 2. How to respresent a non breaking space in KWord's document? Maybe &nbsp;?
This isn't currently possible (and won't ever be &nbsp;, kword isn't html :))
What should be the user-interface for it, according to you ?
The implementation is very easy, but how should the user ask for
a non-breaking space, and how should it be possible (if it should be)
to turn a non-breaking space into a normal space and the other way round ?
Feel free to submit a wishlist item with a precise suggestion on bugs.kde.org.

> 3. As RTF files may have diffrent encodings I'd like to use QTextCodec to
> change it to Unicode. But as CP12xx works others(CP850, CP 437, CP866, ...)
> do not. Is there any other solution?
No. Any encoding that you think should be supported, has to be supported
by Qt.
Did you tell them about the need for QTextCodec to support those charsets ?

> 4. How can I check if specified font contains a certain character(I know
> Unicode character number)?
I'd love to know too (for the insert-special-char dialog in kword).
Haven't investigated yet, please tell me if you find anything :)

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org