List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Conventions are dangerous ;-)
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-07-19 10:51:36

On Tuesday 17 July 2001 21:37, Waldo Bastian wrote:
|   Long live the DMCA. I think we better not hold KDE conventions here in
| the former-free world.

Same news on C-Net:
 Russian crypto expert arrested at Def Con
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6592390.html?tag=dd.ne.dht.nl-sty.0

Important note: this guy can't be treated as "hacker", anyway.
So wired.com headline is misleading and wrong.
He is employed by local [Russian] company, and doing the job company asks him.
According to Russian laws, "backup of software" (which in this case, "saving
e-book as PDF") is not only legal, but also *required* by law.
So, actually he implemented feature which Adobe failed to implement :-)
Now I just wondering *when* usage of Adobe software will be officialy
prohibited here.
It's not allowed for Microsoft to sell WindowsNT with 128-bit encryption in
Russia [only 40-bit], and as Adobe *encrypted PDF* falls into category of
*encryption software*, or *encrypted content* (which is, supposely, not
licensed in Russian analog of FBI, called FAPSI), I guess authorities here
have full rights to stop sales of Adobe software...
Don't know how long is encryption key in Adobe's e-Books, but if it is longer
than 40-bits, than Adobe is in trouble...

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)