List:       koffice
Subject:    Creating Calling Cards Redux
From:       ephemeron () uk2 ! net
Date:       2001-07-08 0:06:43

On Monday 25 June 2001 19:39, Chris Howells wrote:
> > From: ephemeron@uk2.net
> >
> > I want to do Business Cards using Killustrator. It would be real
> > cool if there was a (print preview) option that would let you
> > print multiple instances of a single document page. That is, I
> > would create a 3.5 by 2 inch custom-size page in Killustrator and
> > just specify at print time that I want 10 of them (5 down and 2
> > across) printed on letter-size (8.5 by 11) stock.
>
> You can do this using the new kdelibs (2.2alpha I think) with the
> improve KDE printing framwork architecture -- you can specify that
> you want multiple copies of a page to fit onto the same page, so
> this would work better.
<snip>

A return to a weeks-dead thread: Chris mentioned that the new kde
printing framework could now "specify" the printing of "multiple
copies of a page to fit onto the same page."

This appears not to be the case. I have kde 2.2.0-0beta1 installed.
While the printing engine is a vast improvement over the one in 2.1
(the direct-to-fax print option is great for halving my consumption
of the world's forest cover), it's short of being a DTP-er's best
friend. There's virtually no last-minute layout control in the print
dialog, just options for page selection and copies. For creating
calling cards, greeting cards and book "signatures" (the stuff that
gets sewn in your favorite Harry Potter hardcover) such control is
essential.

I guess this is a bit OT for KOffice. But then again, isn't the
proof of the layout in the printing?