List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KWord review
From:       <brownh () hartford-hwp ! com>
Date:       2001-06-29 11:38:54

> quotes -> already there
> kerning -> I don't see a way :( Too deep down in QPainter.
> leading -> there seems to be a debate whether this is linespacing or not.
> Is it ? Is it not ? I'll make linespacing proportional instead of just 1.5 & 2.
> What's line insertion ?
> What's currently not editable in headers and footers ?
>  (I know that we still have to find a more flexible solution than
> the current limited first vs the rest, and odd/even).

My intention was not to list shortcomings, but to contribute to a
definition of desktop publishing that a reviewer uses as a standand
for judgement. While I'm certainly no expert, I am one who must regularly
do desktop publishing and anxiously await the day when I can turn to
KWord for it.

Kerning may be a challenge, but it seems absolutely essential to
desktop publishing. It has an enormous visual effect, and in certain
situations, is mandatory.

In traditional terms, leading gives precise control over the space
between lines for aesthetic purposes, while the old mechanical
typewriters offered you a choice of 1, 1.5 & 2 line spacing for
interlinear editing. While the two both change the space between
lines, they have entirely different origin and purpose.

What I meant by line insertion is that you can at least insert a
vertical or horizontal solid line of varying thickness between any two
points, such as between vertical columns, an aesthetic element in a
header, or perhaps to create a drop shadow. There is often need for
such lines, but sometimes people would also like to change the type of
line or make it diagonal.

A header and footer typically has material on a single line that is
justified both right and left. Since this material (such as a page
number) might change automatically, you really need real right and
left justification on one line (not just inserting space between the
elements). Also mandatory is the insertion of variable elements, such
as the current page number or date. Headers and footers often require
graphical elements such as lines, and alternative page headers or
footers are typical. I don't know to what extent the current beta of
KWord can do these things, but it is hard to imagine desktop
publishing without them.

Of course there are specific requirements imposed by specific
situations, such as book publishing, handling dissertation reference
numbers automatically linked to end or foot notes, book marking and
cross referencing, setting up a trifold brochure or quarto page for
folding, or merging labels and envelopes. But I was concerned with
only the basic capabilities of simple desktop publishing. Of coure,
opinions on what defines that will naturally differ, and the list of
basics could easily be extended, for example to issues of text flow
and anchoring.

--
    Haines Brown
      brownh@hartford-hwp.com