List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KWord and printing documents with truetype fonts
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-06-19 13:16:04

On Tuesday 19 June 2001 10:46, Nils Holland wrote:
|   Hi folks,
|
|   I have just created a KWord (CVS from Saturday) document consisting of
| about 20 lines of text, all saying "test test test". Each of these lines is
| formatted in a different true type font (all at size 14). When I tried to
| print that document, nothing happened!
|
|   I had a look what's wrong, but I don't have a clue! Another document
|   consisting of only three TT Fonts prints properly, but whatever I do, my
|   20-fonts-test document doesn't seem to print, even though all the fonts
| seem to work correctly on screen.
|
|   Is a behavior like that known? Probably I'll have to do some more
|   investigations here, but it could well be that the problem is really
| KWord related. Any ideas? If not, I will continue to work on the thing
| here, and if I find out something of interest, I'll post it...

man:ps2pdf

With one exception, ps2pdf is a pretty good workalike for Adobe Acrobat(tm)
 Distiller(tm) 3.0. It implements "setdistillerparams" and nearly all of
 Distiller's compression and image downsampling options, except for LZW
 compression (thanks to Unisys). By default it produces PDF 1.2 output
 compatible with Acrobat 3.x, compressed with "deflate" (also known as "zip"
 or "gzip") compression; to produce PDF 1.1 output compatible with Acrobat
 2.x, use the -dCompatibilityLevel=1.1 option.

The one current great shortcoming of ps2pdf is that except for the fourteen
 built-in PDF fonts, it converts all fonts in the PostScript file to bitmap
 fonts in the PDF file, and scrambles the character codes so that the output
 is not searchable. (Normally it produces 720dpi bitmaps, but you can change
 this using Ghostscript's -r option.) We intend to mostly fix this by the end
 of 1998.
---

Arial font used be me (Win98 origin) has 1296 glyphs.
At 720 dpi :
 ( average character box size 720/6=120 pixels for 12pt glyph - 14400 pixels
per glyph ) x 1296 glyphs. --> is a lot of memory
Question is what encoding GhostScript uses for each pixel - 8-bit or 24-bit.
// just wondering: is it really 55MB per font for 24-bit per pixel, or I did
wrong calculation?

And while you can have a lot of memory installed, it looks like to me that
Ghostscript experiences overflow somewhere.
Max. number of fonts which I was able to print is 4.
Ghostscript ver: ghostscript-5.50-67mdk   (from LM 8.0)

I provide here reference to ps2pdf, as I was able to get PS output file, and
invoking #ps2pdf myfile.ps
on it was resulting in 100% CPU usage (non-stopping, was waiting at least for
5 minutes)  So, I had to kill process.

So, IMO GhostScript needs to be fixed in some way.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)