List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Highlighting spelling mistakes
From:       Marko Samastur <markos () elite ! org>
Date:       2001-06-04 16:07:15

On ponedeljek  4. junij 2001 11:33, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Monday 04 June 2001 01:49, Jono Bacon wrote:
> > > All user tests have shown that this decreases productivity, I am
> > > against adding this badly founded feature.
> >
> > What user tests?
>
> I am sorry, I read user tests and remember their conclusions but do
> not remember where I read what.
>
> The point is a valid point, writing is a different process in your
> mind from spellchecking.
>
> You will find _lots_ of people who will disagree with me because of
> WinWord. Basically M$ has ones again set a standard.
>
> If you ask people what they like, you should also ask them how they
> write, because of the 'features' in MS-Office most people tend to
> have methods of writing that are just not very productive. For your
> averige letter this will be no problem, but for more complex document
> the difference is significant.
>
> First write your thoughts, then proofread if the sentences make sence
> and your spelling is correct.
>
> From the replies you have seen to your mail allready, you might
> notice that technical writers have allready understood my points
> here. It is an old concept that has been in use for many years
> allready.

I completely agree with you that spell checking as you go lowers
productivity and should be done after you've typed text. Which is the
right time for formatting as well.

However, IMO this is missing the point. Different people work
differently. Some try to be as productive as they can be, some just
like to see the text in its final form as soon as they enter it and
don't mind how long it takes. It might not be optimal, but why force
one side on this issue, when you can easily make happy both?

Then again, this is just how I see it.

Marko