List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Highlighting spelling mistakes
From:       Greg Turpin <gregturp () home ! com>
Date:       2001-06-04 3:54:08

On Sunday 03 June 2001  5:49 pm, Jono Bacon wrote:

> I think even if it is off by default, that the feature should make it in if
> someone wishes to code it.
>
> 	Jono

This should be fine.  However, when you write a document
you should not concern yourself with spelling.
A rough draft should be about just getting ideas on the page.
The final draft focuses on all of those other elements.

In a course on Technical Communication at my University
our Professor showed us how to turn off the "auto-correct"
features (including spell-checking).  He felt that this was
the better way to write.

This makes perfect sense to me.
If you are in the middle of writing and see that your last word
is underlined - you're going to go back and fix it.  In your
mind you are wondering what the proper spelling is ("i" before
"e" except after "c") and may have to look it up.  By the time
you have fixed the mistake (by looking it up) you have completely
lost your train of thought.

But, that's just my opinion.  If you are going to implement this
and make it a standard feature, please, give a configuration
option to easily turn it off.  Disabling this feature is the first
thing I will do with this program (which is acceptable).

Greg