List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: helping out
From:       shaheed <srhaque () iee ! org>
Date:       2001-06-02 12:15:22

On Saturday 02 June 2001 12:56, Richard Bos wrote:
> Nicolas,
>
> now you're on it, there is something else in the export mode which I don't
> like to much tho it is maybe correct.
>
> When formatting lines like the underneath kword:
>
> this is line 1
> and this is the second
> and sofort
> let's stop here
>
> It's being exported as 4 paragraphs, which seems to be correct from kword's
> point of view.  Never the less, I would like it to be exported with a <br>
> at the end of line.  As the paragraph way of exporting gives an extra empty
> line between the lines when viewed from the html file (looking ugly).  Is
> the <br> usage possible, or should the above be put into a list to prevent
> the empty lines??

I would object to this. I do not think it is the place of export filters to
do this sort of guess work. When I write documents, and export them, I want
as faithful a translation as possible. If I put a paragraph break in kword, I
want to see it and nothing else in HTML.

> The same happens when one makes a paragraph with several lines, halfway the
> paragraph a <return> is given to start at a new line.  The paragraph
> continues now, but from the new line.
> When viewed from the exported html file the single kword paragraph will be
> 2 paragraphs in html mode.  Which wasn't the intention of the author.

In that case, I submit that the author is being unreasonable. S/he has an
structured source: s/he should use it.

So I vote against this behaviour.

Thanks, Shaheed

P.S. IHMO, the case of going from ASCII text to kword is different. There, an
import filter does a considerable service by attempting to infer structure
where there is none.