List:       koffice
Subject:    How should "This function returns...otherwise.." texts in KSpread
From:       Jonathan Singer <jsinger () genome ! wi ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2001-05-25 0:28:20

I've been assigned to the team proofreading message strings for spelling
and grammar. One issue I came across is in KSpread in
extensions/builtin.xml in lines like this:

The find() function searches a substring. This function returns True if
this substring exists otherwise it returns False.

To me, the "otherwise" looks incorrect. Also, many of the lines have a
comma or some other variation. I'd like to declare an official format and
change all the descriptions to match it.

Do people like the version above? Or:

The find() function searches a substring. This function returns True if
this substring exists; otherwise it returns False.

The find() function searches a substring. This function returns True if
this substring exists. Otherwise it returns False.

...or something else?

Excel, by the way, would phrase it as "The find() function searches a
substring. This function returns True if this substring exists and False if
it does not exist."