List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Oh, no...
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-24 13:41:08

On Thu, 24 May 2001 15:25:25 +0800, ephemeron@uk2.net wrote:

>But I love KWord's "Framemaker-like concept"!

In my view, there is nothing in KWord which would make it really
"FrameMaker-like". This myth has been going on too long anyway. The
"frame concept" has been used everywhere in DTP since the early days of
Ventura Publisher, it's also used in QuarkXpress and now (I'm told)
even in PageMaker. So this is nothing specific for FrameMaker which I
think was even one of the last ones to appear of these programs. Nor
can I find much resemblance to FrameMaker in the interface of KWord --
thankfully! -- or in the way it works.

OTOH: the fact that the frame concept became so ubiquitous in DTP says
something about its effectiveness.

>As it is, KWord is the
>closest thing we (will ever?) have to DTP (desktop publishing) on
>Linux.

Well, there is still a promise by Corel to port Ventura Publisher one
day. If they would really do this we would have the best all around
professional publishing tool there is. (And, yes, I worked with
FrameMaker, XPress, and PageMaker, too.) And since KWord pretty much
seems to "think" like Ventura it would be ideal for text preparation
and more basic day to day jobs.

Regards,

Thomas

---