List:       koffice
Subject:    invited by abiword to work together on doc import
From:       Richard Bos <allabos () freeler ! nl>
Date:       2001-05-23 19:32:07

Just to make sure, that this invention is not lost I'll post it here.
The inventiotation was made after the beta2-release of koffice,
see: http://dot.kde.org/990543337/

Re: KOffice-1.1 Beta2 Released !
by Dom Lachowicz on Wednesday May 23, @12:56AM

 Hi All,

For what it's worth, I'm the lead developer/maintainer of AbiWord
(www.abisource.com) and wvWare (www.wvware.com)

MSFT's file formats aren't proprietary, nor is reverse engineering them
illegal. If you go to either site, you'll see OLE2 docs, docs on the DOC
format, etc...

wvWare and Abi both have really good support for importing DOC. I'm trying to
add support for exporting to DOC inside of wvWare right now, though. If
anyone from the KWord development team is reading this and would like to
collaborate on making something like this a reality, I'd really appreciate
it. I'd hate to see a duplication of effort on this sort of scale when it
could so easily be avoided.

Thanks,
 Dom

--
Richard Bos
For those who have no (/)home the journey is endless