List:       koffice
Subject:    RE: Hopeful suggestion for kword
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2001-04-26 20:47:19

No but XHTML + Cascaded Style Sheet Level 2 are really not far from it! And
both *are* standards from the W3C ( http://www.w3c.org )

XHTML modular (a recommandation since a few days ago) permits defining
private tags if you need them.
As for Cascaded Style Sheet Level 2, it has many possibilities when use to
extend. And what is still missing (columns for example) is coming in Level
3 (still a draft for now).
XHTML represents the text and CSS is for the formatting.

The only drawback for KDE is that XHTML modular needs a DOM Level 2 with
namespace and CSS capabilities. The only one KDE has in KHtml. However, it
is very tightly linked to a QScrollView, so it is not usable standalone (or
else the HTML import filter for KWord would have been finished for weeks!)

KFormula can be easily intergrated in MathML form, which in turn can due to
the namespaces be mixed easily with XHTML modular.

Note that the HTML filter will need be able to read and write HTML
4.01/XHTML 1.0 with CSS2. And a future XHTML (non-HTML) filter will have to
be able to read and write XHTML modular with at least CSS2. So the
development of these forms of file formats will be done around KWord. The
problem is if KWord wants to follow this stream or if it wants its own
totally private format.
Or may be two file formats: a fast one and an interchangeable one, like MS
Word native format and Rich Text Format!

Have a nice day/evening/night!