List:       koffice
Subject:    RE: Import Filters
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2001-04-13 20:26:52

1. MS Word Documents

Yes, we need an import filter for MS Word Document in KWord. Many people
want (and need) it.
And it is not because any other UNIX application can read a file format
that KOffice should not be able to read that format.
(Else we could immediately stop developping any filter for KWord, saying
that for example AbiWord has enough filters.)

2. Documentation

The problem of any commercial file format is the documentation. The less
documentation you have, the harder the task is!

3. Bloating

In KOffice, filters are separate dynamic libraries (as in MS Word). So
there do not bloat KWord itself. However, as any libraries, they do take
place on your harddisk!

4. Bug For Bug

Do not worry, KWord was and is still not planned as being a clone of MS
Word. For example, KWord has a very different native file format.

Have a nice day/evening/night!