List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Import Filters
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-13 13:56:21

On Friday 13 April 2001 00:55, Jonathan Drews wrote:

>  I have several questions about Import Filters on Kword (and Kspread).
>
> 1) Since Star Office can read M$ Docs do we really need them in Kword?

  Yes.  We don't want to use Star Office.

> 2) From this article here:
> http://www.zdnet.com/enterprise/stories/main/0,10228,2707056,00.html
> and from what the more experienced UNIX people tell me, M$ essential
> "encrypts" it's documents. That way you have to use their Office suite. Is
> importation a difficult task because of this encryption? Will it delay the
> rollout of Koffice 1.1

   I assure you that MS will not be delaying anything in KDE, directly or
indirectly.  They may have the power to delay commercial software, but they
have no chance here.  Furthermore, if it's "encrypting" it's documents, that
can be reverse engineered.  They would have to have a key stored in the
binary (or generated from the data it can obtain from the document itself).
I dont' see how this could be so difficult to reverse engineer once the
algorithm in use is determined.  I have faith in the Word import filter team.
 (don't expect anything too soon though)

> 3) Will Import filters for M$ docs make Kword bloated or unstable?

  No they're separate modules loaded when needed.

> 4) I am concerned as I saw a request for something called "fast saves" on
> the KDE list.  My fear is that Koffice wil try to implement "bug for bug"
> compatibility with M$.  This I believe is happening in GNOME, with it's
> creation of GNU Visual Basic.

   what?!  We're not doing that....  Please give the development team some
credit here.

--

George Staikos