List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Kimageshop and qprinter compile erors
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-04 17:31:04

Krzysztof Kosz wrote:

> On Wednesday 04 April 2001 12:04, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Krzysztof Kosz wrote:
> > > Hi !
> > >
> > > While compiling Koffice (snapshot from ftp.kde.org, dated 20010403)
> > > i met some errors. I use kdelibs from 2.1.1
> > > I have no idea what happened.
> >
> > You used --enable-final, this is experimental and may not work. And as
> > you just found out, it doesn't for you.
>
> But in a final release --enable-final should work, am I right?
> BTW: What does do --enable-final ? ( I read in configure script
> that the binaries are smaller, but how it works - I don't know ).

It creates a special file containing a #include <somefile.cpp> for
all .cpp files in the project. Then it compiles this single file
using one gcc process. This leads to smaller binaries and probably
even better optimized code (in theory). At least the compilation
should be faster. The disadvantage of this method is that it breaks
easily (most of the time due to nasty #defines) and it takes huge
amounts of memory (e.g. kspread w/ --enable-final takes about 120MB
on a x86 box).

I'll try to compile KOffice with some nifty options now to see what
breaks and I'll (try to) fix it ASAP.

--
Werner Trobin - trobin@kde.org