List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Will KDE3 end work on Koffice?
From:       Christian Lavoie <clavoi14 () po-box ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       2001-04-03 2:30:05

On Monday 02 April 2001 22:04, Jonathan Drews wrote:
> Hi:
>
>  I read the following and hope Koffice development will continue up to a
> bug fix for the current apps. I am not complaining but as a desktop user I
> would like to see Koffice finished. My main concern are the crashes in
> Kword when using the Formula Frame.  I really like Koffice and would like
> the current apps (KSpread, Killustrator, Kgraph, Kpresenter and Kword) to
> reach some degree of completion. I use Linux exclusively for my work and am
> counting on Koffice.

Everyone wants KOffice to reach a more usable state as soon as possible.
Developers are working towards that goal, and CVS tells me (well, the Debian
packaging of CVS) that their making one hell of a good job at it. KWord is
getting some major overhaul with the help of Qt3's RichText widget which will
handle most of the rendering, fixing a major truckload of bugs, annoyances
and others. KSpread and KFormula have seen good updates too recently, if I am
not completely mistaken. I think we're looking at swtiching from kformula1 to
kformula2, which seem to be a good step forward.

>  "Following Matthias Ettrich's brief announcement, a long series of posts
> appeared from a variety of developers, almost all supporting the plan.
> Discussions are continuing regarding the continuation of the KDE 2 branch,
> including suggestions that Waldo Bastian work on a new KDE release schedule
> which drops any further KDE 2.x releases in favor of an immediate jump to
> the new technologies."

Hmmm. Dunno what to say. You're quote comes from an article that is a April's
Fool joke. KDE2.x is NOT switching to Mozilla/JavaScript 'technology' for its
rendering. This would mean a major (not to say total) rewrite of the
rendering code, and most developers would simply not do it. Especially since
Qt is so good at what its doing.

> "David Faure argued in favor of branching immediately, and just releasing
> bug fixes to the 2.1 branch."
>
>  Thats fine with me. I just need my Koffice apps to work well. I depend on
> these things. Before Koffice I used Abiword and Applix. well it looks like
> Applix is gone and Abiword, nice as it is, clearly does not have all the
> features of the Koffice suite.

Indeed, KOffice is one of the most important project for
linux-on-a-workstation acceptance. Rest assured everyone is doing its best at
making KOffice as good as humanly possible.

----
Christian Lavoie
clavoi14@po-box.mcgill.ca
UIN: 947212