List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: gPhoto for KDE
From:       John Califf <jcaliff () compuzone ! net>
Date:       2000-12-06 1:55:20

Shawn Gordon wrote:

> Martin Konold wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Shawn Gordon wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am not sure if it fits into KOffice but it definetly is an  important sw
> > for KDE!
> >
> > How do you expect kphoto to interact with the user?
> >
> mostly as a file open/browsing dialog that can be used from a variety of
> applications like Krayon, Kword and Konqueror to name a few.  There are
> plenty of things around that can work on the image, it's getting it in
> the first place that is the issue.
> > Yours,
> > --martin
> >
> > > Question: Is this something that you would like to see as part of
> > > KOffice as a support library like KChart or something?
> > >
> > > Shawn
> > > theKompany.com

Shawn - please see my reply to Waldo's suggestion in this thread.  What
you wrote above pretty much answers the question about what the app will
look like and how the user will interact with it.  Also, use of the
global clipboard is important.  If you can possibly do that, things will
be much easier.

Suggestion:  It would be nice to have a standard fileopen dialog for all
kde graphics apps to use that includes a small snapshot or minature of
the image that is highlighted to help the user decide what to open
before pressing the button or double clicking.  You can't tell much by
the filename except what type of image it is.  This is fairly easily
done by extending the existing fileopen dialog in kdelibs/kfile/, and
would not cause incompatibilites with current code because it only uses
those classes, and doesn't change what's already there.

John