List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KOffice Website - feedback
From:       John Califf <jcaliff () compuzone ! net>
Date:       2000-12-01 15:58:58

Thomas wrote:

> > > I don't have the pictures you claim are fixed. So I can't help you, I first
> > > need the right pictures.
> > >
> > Thomas - I put the individual pics on my website. Don't bother with the
> > entire tarball anymore.  The pics are all_shot_banner.gif and
> > office_banner.gif.  You can get them at:
> >
> > http://users.compuzone.net/jcaliff/download/all_shot_banner.gif
> > http://users.compuzone.net/jcaliff/download/office_banner.gif
> >
> > There is also a screenshot of what the web site is looks like in
> > konqueror using these pics.  It's in the same dowload directory on my
> > website, for anyone who is interested. It can be viewed/downloaded at:
> >
> > http://users.compuzone.net/jcaliff/download/mykoffice.jpg
> >
> > If the website doesn't look something like that, then the correct pics
> > are not being used, but everything should be fine if you use these two
> > pics, making sure they are in http://koffice.org/pics/.
> >
> > However you get the pics into the directory I don't know.  Thanks for
> > your cooperation.
>
> The only change I see (and I have been staring at it for some time) is the fact
> that the picture from the link above is over 10 times the size, I dont think a 325Kb
> file should be on the home-page.
> Honestly I don't see ANY difference!
>
> Same with the office_banner but that one grew about 14times in size.
>
> ps:
> file all_shot_banner.gif
> all_shot_banner.gif: PC bitmap data, Windows 3.x format, 804 x 135 x 24
>
> --
> Thomas Zander

Apparently there are some things that happen to gifs with ftp.  When I
downloaded the gifs in question myself, they changed and shrunk to 1x1
images also, but not when I uploaded them.

I have now put the two pics into a tarball, so they can't be affected in
this way during transfer with Netscape or Konqi.  They are gif image
data, the larger being only about 30,000 bytes and the smaller less than
1,000 bytes in size. When you save some gifs with linux image apps,
including some kde ones, they save as windows bitmaps and vastly grow in
size because they aren't allowed to save in gif format due to patent
restrictions.  This is incorrect, they should just put up a message box
explaining that you can't save in gif format. We really should use jpg
or png.  However what's in the tarball is not huge and should work
nicely.  Please use this:

http://users.compuzone.net/jcaliff/download/newpics.tar.gz

Extract the two pics (only the two pics are in the tarball) and commit
or upload or whetever you do. I ask you this - isn't the jpg screenshot
mykoffice.jpg good, showing the main page? Don't you see the background
and koffice lettering?  That's from my local version of the same.  But,
when I download the pics they change, shrinking to uselss transparent
fillers, but they should show up on the website fine.  Yet another
reason not to use gifs, but since that's what was used I didn't change
them.

If the above does not work, it would be much easier for me to just be
able to update the site myself, either directly with ftp if I have the
password or preferably using cvs.  Then I could convert these two pics
to jpg or png and also change the source to point to them by the new
names, etc. I've already written about cvs server being different from
the kde cvs server, :pserver:zander:... If you could explain to me how
to log onto this server you use for the website, checkout, update and
commit using it things would be much easier.  Anyway, people will need
to be able to do this to update the content for the individual apps they
maintain, not just me.  All koffice developers will need to do this.

Sorry that getting these simple images onto the site is such a mess.  In
my opinion the only real solution is access for all koffice developers
to be able to update the site using cvs - using the correct server that
maintains the site.  I think you can trust people not to mess up you php
engine and just to update or change the things they work on or are
responsible for - mostly just changes to static content that are needed
to keep site current - new screenshots, etc.  Also, people will be able
to test the results immediately and fix things if necessary without
these long correspondences with you.

John