List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: website
From:       John Califf <jcaliff () compuzone ! net>
Date:       2000-11-29 6:12:55

"Warwick Chapman (Budgee)" wrote:

> Hi John and Web Dev Team
>
> I have never been one for getting logos done before the structure. I
> am working on a structre, which I'll have ready in a few days. My
> suggestion is that we ask the people @ artist.kde.org to help us
> with the logo and look. Is this not the reason they are there?
>
> Thanks
> Budgee

Since you are newly involved, some clarification:

I have not done any artwork for the koffice website or created a new
logo. All I have done with logos is some coding changes and changes to
content to use the existing artwork more effectively and superimpose
header style titles for some pages over a background image.  The problem
is that the background image and the logo title image which are "good"
on kde cvs are not the same as the pics in the website pics directory,
so the background and title don't show up.  This makes the top part of
the page look shitty.

Thomas and I seem to be at an impasse over the simple matter of moving
the good images (which anyone can get from my web site or kde cvs) into
the website pics directory, so you can see them on the pages.  I do not
have update access to the website and can't do that.  Until somebody
moves the good pics there, the site will look shitty and incomplete.
Every day that goes by is bad for KOffice until this is done.

Again, changes I made are tentative, and I do not claim to be a logo
artist although I do have some commercial art experience.  I do feel
that with these changes the site looks very good, and that the basic
design is strong.  Why is there any need to change it other than some
refinements here and there?

Regarding artists, Kde has a certain style typified in its icons.  This
is a somewhat childlike look - but not unsophisticated.  Tackat, the
chief icon artists for Kde, probably could whip up a logo in a few hours
for KOffice from stuff he already has.  He also knows other artists.  If
you want something slightly more slick looking, I suggest the artwork
already done for the KOffice "About" dialog.  The 3D K with Office in
relief lettering. The colors are too dark - that can easily be adjusted
in a graphics app.  In my opinion we should use that as a basis for a
logo, without the "Unix - Ready for the Office" lettering.  Why fix it
if it ain't broke?  And above all use artwork actually used in KOffice
itself  if possible.

The engine for the website is another matter.  That has little or
nothing to do with the artwork. This is stuff Thomas works on and he is
doing a good job on it.  I do not feel that a commercial look is what is
needed for the KOffice web site, though, and that we should make the
best of Kde artwork and use the tried and true Kde style in presenting
KOffice.  I don't feel that the logo Thomas has worked on is consistent
with the Kde style.  It seems to commercial, but others may disagree.
As I have stated before, all programmers want to be artists or musicians
or writers.  Being an art critic is not the way to become popular, but
necessary sometimes.

As I see it, there are basically three parts to KOffice website
development:

1.  The engine - using php and databases and so forth to generate
certain content and assemble parts.  Coders with knowledge of php and
sql and html and so forth do this.

2.  Static content - This must be hand written for the site as a whole
and for each app.  You know - advertising blurbs, descriptions, faqs.
Mostly, maintainers of each KOffice app should supply content for what
they work on.

3.  Graphic design - overall look and feel as well as individual
graphics like logos and icons and screenshots.  Artists with some
sensitivity to the kde style, preferably those who have done the artwork
for kde itself, should have the final say here.

John