List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: The KOffice web site
From:       John Califf <jcaliff () compuzone ! net>
Date:       2000-11-28 0:48:02

Chris Lee wrote:

> > > I'm all for it. Maybe a new mailinglist - kde-web-devel or something?
>
> > kde-www already exists.
> > At the moment, this is where "kde.org" is discussed and designed, but
> > I'm sure it could be extended to the "family" websites, such as
> koffice.org
> > and konqueror.org
>
> Sounds good.
>
> > > For all of the web projects - KOffice, Konqueror, maybe even the main
> KDE page.
> > > Also, who's in charge of dot.kde.org? It still has a very kde.org-1.0
> feel
> > > to it...
> > Navindra Umanee <navindra@cs.mcgill.ca> but I don't agree with "1.0 feel"
> :-)
>
> No? The color scheme doesn't match up at all with the new KDE.org. It seems
> more like the old kde.org - which was what I referred to as the "1.0 feel",
> not necessarily that it looked like KDE1.0. Anyway, I still think it could
> be updated to look more like the other sites.
>
> -Chris

Opinion follows, but not inflammatory:

1.  All the different kde releated sites connected with kde.org don't
have to look the same.  Consistent navigation is more important, IMHO.

2.  In retrospect, I don't think a fixed with page style is good or was
a good choice for kde.org.  It loads fast, but so can a simple var.
width page.  It would be really bad for other kde.org related sites to
follow that example and also use fix-width page styles that don't take
full advantage of a browser window's width and look off center depending
on the size of your window.  You have to give Gnome credit for having an
attractive web page - functional too.   Something like that would be
more desirable, and the kde.org site really should go back to variable
width. Fixed width pages are just a fad in dot com land and the fad
won't last.

3. dot.kde.org is a WELL DESIGNED site. I don't think it's particularly
kde oneish looking.  Personally I don't like the gear logo they use,
it's not as nice as the standard kde gear with the K.  However, overall
something more like dot.kde.org for all kde sites would be a better
choice than to model after kde.org's site.  The use of real kde icon
artwork is also exceptionally well done for the individual stories.
Balanced, tastefule, fast, to the point, informative.

John