List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: People this web site is pretty old! -> Please update it!!!
From:       John Califf <jcaliff () compuzone ! net>
Date:       2000-11-22 16:00:58

John Califf wrote:

> Thomas wrote:
> >
> > cvs checkout www/koffice
> >
> > If in doubt ask me.
> >
> > I know, I know... This new website is coming! But it is quite hard to make
> > a nice logo/identity.
> >
> > --
>
> Thanks Thomas.  I have checked out www/koffice from cvs and will make
> the needed changes tonight for the front page and kimageshop.  It should
> only take a few hours - assuming that what is in cvs is the same as
> what's shown on the site and not a development version you may be
> working on.  It's easy to find that out by viewing some of the pages in
> a browser.
> If they are different I can just download the page and image directory
> and make a tarball and post back here with a link to where they can be
> downloaded.
>
> Regarding the logo/banner, what's there now does not show up in Netscape
> 4.7x but does show up in Mozilla.   I think the pastel collage is very
> nice, it just needs to be saved in a different format, jpg, which I will
> do, and superimosed with "KOffice" in H1 style.  Some pngs, especially
> RGB pngs that use a color for transparency without having a real alpha
> channel, are nonstandard and are not accepted by either Qt or Netscape
> 4.x.  Some other browsers and viewers are less strict.  So it's safer to
> just use a jpg, or a true RGBA png.  It's just a matter of saving what's
> there in a different format with an image app that is more tolerant.
> Then it will show up in all browsers.
>
> Another idea is to use the "Is Unix Ready for the Office?" splash that
> is currently used in the about popup for all koffice apps for a logo,
> possibly modifying it by orienting the letters horizontally so it looks
> more like a banner on web pages.  However, the pastel backdrop really is
> prettier, when people can see it properly.
>
> Of course the most needed change is just updating the static text - the
> content, on the front page.  It's way out of date and states that
> KOffice is still in alpha stage, etc. This will have no effect on what's
> generated from scripts or on the layout and format generally.
>
> I'll post back here and probably will provide a download link to a
> tarball with modified html and images or just commit the changs if you
> indicate that's ok in the meantime.
>
> John

Correction to my post:  The image in question is a gif,
all_shots_banner.gif, not a png as I had thought.  I just checked.  The
problems is that treatment as a background inside a table cell just
doesn't work in netscape.  I have already changed it on my box to just
show the image inside the same table cell with the correct size and it
shows up in both Netscape and Konqui fine now.  To put text on top you
need to either use a backgroud or edit the image and place text there in
the image, but it looks ok with the gear logo and text to the left and
the pastel banner to right for now.  I am not sure how to get the
background to work with Netscape but will try a few things.

Also, what's in www/koffice cvs does seem to be current. I see how the
phtml inserts other html for the top and bottom parts and what to change
for the main body text that is very out of date and misleading.  So, I
will post the changes back here as attachments later today or tonight.
If you like, you or I can then commit.

John