List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KOffice-cvs compile woes (and a question)
From:       John Califf <jcaliff () compuzone ! net>
Date:       2000-11-13 18:55:49

Andrew Patterson wrote:

> > > "koffice (lib kofficecore): WARNING: Office/kspread.desktop: no
> > > X-KDE-NativeMimeType entry!
> > > koffice (lib kofficecore): ERROR: Couldn't find the native MimeType in
> > > kspread's desktop file. Check your installation !     "
> > > What could cause such misbehavior? The CVS' bug-of-the-day?
> >
> > Ok, I've finally managed to connect to lists.kde.org (don't ask) and peruse
> > the messages archives. Found out that this very question had been asked but a
> > week ago.
> >
> > Sorry about that. Send flames to clavoi14@po-box.mcgill.ca (which you can
> > easily verify is my real e-mail)
>
> Don't worry about it too much. The problem still hasn't been solved :(
> I too determined that my .desktop files have the proper NativeMimeType
> lines but nothing in kOffice will run regardless.  David Faure was
> helping me out and from that it seems that kbuildsycoca is at fault.
> Of course, what do to about _that_ seems to be a mystery! :)
>
> Wood Shavings!
>   - Andrew

This question has ben asked innumerable times, with no clear answer.
One thing has ALWAYS worked for me.

1.  log out of kde and X
2.  manually delete the file ~/.kde/share/config/ksycoca
3.  install the koffice app or apps in question, from the pertinent
    subdirs: cd koffice/kword/ ; make install
3.  restart X and kde
4.  ksycoca will automatically be rebuilt by kde, and the new mime types
should be registered so the apps will start provided the .desktop files
match up, which they should.  The important part is deleting ksyscoa
BEFORE reinstalling the app, not after.

This accomplishes the same thing that kbuildsycoca should, but if that
utility is at fault this should work regardless.  Note that once the
mimetypes are registered, you can rebuild and reinstall the standard way
without worrying about it again, as they don't get unregistered.