List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: RFC: Should MSWord pictures in kword be editable?
From:       John Califf <jcaliff () compuzone ! net>
Date:       2000-11-06 23:15:52

Shaheed Haque wrote:

> As you may or may not know, MSWord stores pictures internally in half a
> dozen different ways (well, it only a small exaggeration).
>
> On import into kword, I was planning to reduce these to two. One for
> non-editable things such as PNGs/bitmaps etc., and the second for vector
> graphics. The former would end up as inline images, while the latter would
> end up as killustrator parts.
>
> Now, I'm no longer sure that this is the right way to go. I'm thinking that
> the above distiction is arbitrary (e.g. vector graphics can contain
> bitmaps), and so all images should be editable as killustrator parts.
>
> I'd like to hear any opinions on this subject. Here are some notes that may
> help:
>
> 1. It might be that having lots of kparts would be inconvenient to use.
>
> 2. It would mean a single UI for all images
>
> 3. It would be different from MsWord (:-))
>
> Thanks, Shaheed

Hello Shaheed

Bitmapped graphics as well as vector graphics should be editable in a
kword document.  Krayon (formerly kimageshop) will be able to handle all
the standard types such as png, jpg, gif, etc., and to be embeddable as
a koffice part, and alredy should be embeddable although I haven't
tested it yet in KWord, which would require further hacking kword.  The
import/export for the different image types isn't done yet, and for the
time being you may want to use inline images in Kword.  However for the
long term you should count on a koffice part (krayon) to handle
bitmapped images.  This applies even moreso to KIllustrator, which can
import bitmapped images which should be editable within Killustrator
with Krayon. The compliment of that, embededing vector graphics in a
Krayon document or native kis image file, needs also to be considered.
Gimp already has something like that for vector graphics, though gimp
handles it more as an external import than as an embedded part like
Koffice does.

When Krayon is used to handle images in other Koffice apps, then it does
make sense to reduce graphics to two:  vector graphics which
Killustrator handles and bitmapped graphics which Krayon handles.  All
three of your points are already addressed by Krayon, though the
implementation is incomplete.  I hope to have it more complete by
December, so Krayon can be compiled by default with koffice apps.  If
not, certainly by the 2.1 release planned for next spring.

John