List:       koffice
Subject:    kOffice won't work - MIME problems
From:       Andrew Patterson <andrew () blackecho ! net>
Date:       2000-11-01 14:50:01

Hello all,

I've tried (in vain) to get kOffice up and running on
my newly installed KDE2 system. It compiled (no rpms for
RH6.2 :( ) and installed without complaint
(in /usr/local/koffice). I've setup KDEHOME, KDEDIR &
KDEDIRS to all point to the right place. But regardless
of the kOffice app I fire up, I get the same error:

koffice (lib kofficecore): WARNING: Office/kword.desktop: no
X-KDE-NativeMimeType entry!
koffice (lib kofficecore): ERROR: Couldn't find the native
MimeType in kword's desktop file. Check your installation !

Of likely interest: the install didn't put *anything* in my
KDEHOME directory that I could determine; it took me a while
to decipher exactly what it was complaining about when it
said it couldn't find it's "desktop file". I copied the
desktop files and most other things I could find from
.../koffice/share/ into my home directory, but thigns still
ain't working.

I've also trolled the archives where I found some similar
posts to mine but the solutions (using kbuildsycoca with
and/or without --incremental) didn't do anything for me.

Any help _greatly_ appreciated!

Wood Shavings!
  - Andrew