List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: about KDE 2.0 release
From:       Thomas <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-10-21 23:15:03

As I know it the KDE2 release has put a lot of strain on all of the developers,
which includes the KOffice people. Therefor there are a lot of issues
that people will have with the software.

I think you can look at it in two ways,

- the linux/OSS way; we are doing a first public release, we are attracting
  developers and opinions of the people out there. It is a first release
  and we _know_ lots of issues will come up.

- the buisiness way; this is a first release of something very big, we are
  "promising" this thing will grow, so bear with us.
  We are (again) not giving any guarenties as to the usability of the software.
  It is great stuff, but I believe the power MS user will miss the huge
  feature list currently in other software.

So what is the release status?

Last note: V1.0 sounds more sexy in buisiness terms but in that buisiness
it would not hold, there managers are looking a equiv of MS Office.
If you on the other hand are more concerned about the general public (not
companies, but the homes), by all means, call this a 1.0. I would back
that. It does all you would expect a office suite to do! Thats what
a 1.0 release is for.