List:       koffice
Subject:    Staroffice filter released yesterday...my perspective
From:       "Shaheed Haque" <shaheedhaque () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2000-10-14 12:25:05

Hi all,

Just to let you all know that the Staroffice released yesterday DOES include
at least the Word filter. I assume (but did not check) that Excel etc. are
also supported.

The word filter is at:

http://www.openoffice.org/source/browse/sw/sw/source/filter/ww8

I did have a quick look, and the first thing is that the comments are in
German. I don't know German as such, but I think I can understand at least
50% of what is there. The code has some comments...not enough, but some. So,
at a minimum, we are going to be able to take advantage of the effort they
have put into reverse engineering.

For example, even a quick perusal of a small piece of code shows interesting
things (e.g. SwWW8ImplReader::ReadGrafFile thinks that GIF files have mm ==
94, compared to the documented value of 98). Only time will tell which is
right. But at least, we have a source of truth other than the Microsoft
version, wv, and my own fevered imagination!

I look forward to on-going cross-fertilisation of ideas between wv, SO and
our code. So, well done Sun!

Thanks, Shaheed