List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Krayon (kimageshop) fixes committed
From:       John Califf <jcaliff () compuzone ! net>
Date:       2000-10-13 5:23:07

I have committed changes to kimageshop which should allow people to use
and test the application now.  Please note that it's still not compiled
by default with the rest of KOffice and won't be for the official Kde
2.0 release, but if you compile KImageshop separately and install it
should work reasonably well along with the other KOffice apps.

Could someone please test this for me?  The fixes should now be part of
any KOffice cvs update and should appear in the snapshots starting
tomorrow.  If you have trouble starting KImageshop after installing on
top of an existing Kde 2 installation you may first need to delete
~/.kde/share/config/ksycoca and reinstall kimageship. ksyscoca will be
automatically rebuilt and the mimetype will be properly registered - it
will appear with other koffice apps in the kicker menu or can be run
from a konsole, etc.

Next I'll have patches (new code) to allow exporting and importing of
images in various formats and saving in native format.  Exporting and
importing is actually much easier than saving and loading native format.
Before committing anything else, I need to know whether or not other
people can now use the app with the fixes just applied.  Does it compile
and run on your box?

I do have several questions about the ongoing development of Kimageshop:

1.  What about the kimageshop mailing list? It's inactive.  Should it
be revitalized or should Krayon matters be discussed here and on the new
koffice-dev list?  I'd prefer to post here (koffice and koffice-devel)
because this is a KOffice app.

2.  Integration.  Currently some of the drawing tools work.  Layers
work, but not much of the image manipulation code has been written yet.
I'd prefer to use what has already been written for pixie or to somehow
use pixie as a part for that (without pixie's interface) or at the very
least use what is already in kdegraphics - the mini-magic library.
KImageshop also must work as a KOffice part within KWord and
KIllustrator, both of which can embed bitmapped images already.
Feedback or comments from the original
developers (Elter, etc.) and from mosfet would be welcome.

3.  Artists.  Feedback from Kde artists is needed.  I feel that the
interface is very well designed and easy to use, and most of the gui
stuff has already been coded.  The app needs many more tools, though,
and image manuputation functionality is very incomplete.  Artists - what
are your needs?  This is your application - please test and provide
comments on what tools and functions you want or need to do serious work
with Kimageshop.  Having had very negative experiences with Gimp
regarding usability, ease of use must always be paramount even if this
means fewer features, at least at first.

4.  Documentation - almost nonexistent.  Any documentation writers
willing to volunteer after the 2.0 release, or provide me with a
template for writing user documentation ?

John