List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: kchart
From:       Ken Latham <clatham1 () tampabay ! rr ! com>
Date:       2000-10-11 2:27:21

Teckat,

    While I am not involved with the KDE project (or Koffice), I know
the answer to your question because it has very little to do with
Koffice in particular.
    Hi-Lo-Close is a chart variety that is usually used to plot stock or
bond prices (even commodities) over a period of time.  Each point on the
graph (price vs. days) is composed of three marks on a symbol that looks
like a "crossed capital I":

    (1) the day's highest price (High)
    (2) the day's lowest price (Low)
    (3) the price of the stock at market closing (Close)

Each point usually looks something like this:

    ---      (the highest price)
    ---      (the closing price)
    ---      (the lowest price)

I'd draw one out for you but they look pretty lousey in text
characters.  Suffice it to say it looks like a any old line graph except
that, at each "point" on the line, one of the above symbols appears.
The line is usually drawn through the "close" mark at each point.
Sometimes there is no line at all.  Most implementations that I have
seen allow you to set the mark at which the line is to be drawn (if at
all).

Hope this helps.

Ken