List:       koffice
Subject:    KImageshop (Krayon) bugfixes ready
From:       John Califf <jcaliff () compuzone ! net>
Date:       2000-10-01 5:41:39

Note: I'm sending this a second time as there were problems with the
mail server at kde earlier today.  If the original message somehow comes
thru this is modified a little based on more work I've done since
then.....

Yesterday to escape other woes and worries and bad karma I worked on
Krayon and got it to compile, and run, without crashing.  It's now
difficult to crash unless you do something really strange.  Only a few
things have temporarily been commented out (the patterns button and
layers buttons, but layers and channels themselves are intact). These
things can be uncommented a little at a time because some fixes are not
easy. All the tools (except spray-paint) work and the menus work.  Of
course many things don't do much, but most of the drawing tools do
something and you can draw simple picture, zoom in, and use most of the
menu items effectively, access the dialogs, load brushes, etc.

These changes are based on a recent cvs version.  If the version in cvs
is not the current one please inform me.  I tried the Krayon link at
theKompany and it was dead, and while there is a KImageShop mailing list
I don't know how to get on it, as it's not on the Kde mailing list
page.  Also, how do I get on the new koffice-devel list?  It's not
accessible from the main kde page either, and doesn't show up on the
lists at developer.kde.org.

These changes are bugfixes. There were lots of little Qt errors and
uninitialized pointers and references to missing things, and common C++
errors that caused it not to compile and/or run.  I've addded no new
features except what is necessary to bring it up to date with the
current Kde and KOffice common code, most of which had been done by
someone back in June.  However, there are lots of changes in terms of
lines of code modified, debugging messages, etc.  Maybe it would be best
if anyone is interested (hopefully the original authors) for me to
upload a tarball or give you a web address to download it from. I don't
have cvs update access.  Otherwise I can submit diffs. Most of the
changes are to kis_view.cc, kis_doc.cc, and their header files, but
about a dozen files have been changed some.

Please note that when installing Krayon separately from the rest of
KOffice, the mime types don't get registered without first deleting your
ksycoca config file in you home .kde directory. I hope this kconfig
problem is fixed before the 2.0 release, but it can be worked around. If
the mime types don't get registered KOffice cannot load the app. Just
delete ksycoca. It will automatically be rebuilt the next time you start
kde and the new app, KImageShop, will then work. (This is also true for
installing other new koffice apps or the sample app which I had to
compile to learn how the common code works).

There's no hurry, and this may not be a high priority item right now,
but it sure is exciting.  I'd like for these bugfixes to be merged in so
people can work on and use Krayon without worrying about crashes with
normal use.  It looks very nice.  The sooner we can replace Gimp with
Krayon the better.

I will volunteer as the maintainer and bugfixer for Krayon while the
original authors work on new features when they have time, if this is
ok with the original authors.

John