List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Fwd: RE: koffice translations!!!
From:       "Byron C. Servies" <bservies () pacang ! com>
Date:       2000-09-28 16:25:09

On 9/28/00 at 2:08 PM, me@caldera.de (Matthias Elter) wrote:

> (...)
> > However, this is an open source project. And if you think that
> > I ship an application from which I know that it is buggy in
> > the math engine just because someone from caldera set a time
> > schedule then you are wrong. I am sorry for the extra load
> > on the translators. But I had no time before to make these fixes
> > before and nobody else did them.
>
> I think we all agreed on the schedule. If you don't, write a reply when a new
> schedule is posted, as it is always open for discussions. If you however
> think that the schedule is made to fit Caldera's release plans, feel free to
> take over the release dude job.

Really?  I saw a grand total of 1 email related to schedule on the koffice lists,
a reply from Waldo, and it indicated that there was a desire to move away from
monolithic release schedule and a desire to avoid branching the tree.  I'd check
the archives to see whether I'm mistaken, but they have never worked for me
(pipermail always gives a link not found error).

I never really got going on koffice development, for a number of reasons, but it
sure seems to me that an aweful lot goes on outside of these lists and decisions
are made with input and agreements that those of us who only subscribe to these
official lists never see.

Most of the bickering that is going on now is probably just due to about-to-ship
stress, but as a relative outsider I do worry about the communication channels,
which I have never really figured out; kind of like cvsup, which was my Waterloo
for koffice development.

Still, knowingly forcing a ship date on a major component that the author tells
you is not ready is just stupid.  Imagine the result, Matthias, if you do your
'release dude job' to your schedule and ship a kspread that can't do math?  Were I
the author, I'd forward all the flames to said release dude to handle.

Anyway, good luck.

Byron