List:       koffice
Subject:    KOffice Web Page problems & solutions
From:       John Califf <jcaliff () usit ! net>
Date:       2000-09-21 22:10:06

I have had problems loading the main koffice web page,
http://koffice.kde.org/ into konqueror.  It stalls for a few minutes but
eventually loads.  Other kde sites don't stall like this.  The page does
load quickly into Netscape.

Looking at the page, and the source code, it appears to be simple html -
no php or cgi redirects.  There is a noticeable html error on the page.
Look at the bottom left corner. You will see :q!.  Evidently somebody
made an error with vi in creating the page and copied a vi command into
the page.  At least please edit the page and remove the offending line
which is outside the html tag area and may cause problems with some
browsers like Konqueror.  This may fix the problem.

There may also be problems with the backgrond image all_shot_banner.gif
loaded with a style tag and with the filler invis.gif.  This looks
suspicious:

    style="backtround: #ffffff url(pics/all_shot_banner.gif)"

The images are only 1x1 in size.  I notice that the page has problems
with Konqueror scrolling into the top area where these pics are located.
The sizes given in the html are not the actual sizes of the images.
Making them exactly the same will result in faster loading for invis.gif
and using a 1x1 image for a background is questionable.

So, if somebody who runs the web site can make any or all of these
changes (just get rid of the background that doesn't show anyway), I can
test how the site behaves with Konqueror again.

The page also seems to be out of date.  Maybe if it is hand-edited
nobody has time to update the page.  I think a new visitor would get the
impression that there's not much activity with KOffice development, when
there is.  Also, isn't a release coming up?  Some news about that would
help.

I remember months ago there was a really great graphic, a cartoon of a
child surrounded by office equipment whirling in the air. That's a much
better graphic for the main page than a bare Kde gear logo which is so
boring, and the blank space to the right across the top looks bad. If an
image or background is supposed to show up there it doesn't show up for
me, with either Konqueror or Netscape. There's also some more modern
KOffice logo and splash stuff that would look more attractive than the
bare gear.  Does anyone know where to get the original cartoon and other
KOffice graphics which may have been rejected?  Why were these excellent
graphics rejected? I could use them for my own web site which is under
development or just keep the graphics as an example of excellent
artwork.

I have no way of knowing how much of the site is hand-edited or how much
is generated with scripts, but I feel that it's important to update the
main page once a week (at least) and to have more inviting graphics for
the main page. I would be willing to work some on the site.  While I am
also newly involved in KOffice development, right now I have more
patches to send in than can be processed and don't want to send yet
another until current ones are applied, so I do have some time to work
on the page(s).  If I can get ahold of the original graphics mentioned
above I can at least send a modified version of the main page for you to
look over.

John