List:       koffice
Subject:    PageUp - PageDown behav in kword (was: kword gui...)
From:       Thomas <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-09-18 18:10:19

I have a couple of reasons for saying that page-down should indeed
go one page down.

- Kword is a frames based package. Try creating a frame page 1, put your
cursor in there and press page-down. If your frame is small enough and
the frame is not visible on page 2 the pagedown will NOT go down. Because
there is no frame to put the cursor in.  Even worse, dont type any text, your
view will not change after a pagedown.

- Kword is page driven software, whatever you say you expect people to use it
for (which I disagree with, but that is not the point) I believe the basis of
the tool is also the basis of the interface. So when someone wants to look at
page 10, (s)he should not have to do a page-down until there is some clue on
screen (s)he is on page 10. Just press page-down 10 times should suffice.

- You might say it is intuitive enough, I say scrolling 1 page with PAGE
down is VERY intuitive. (but this is very personal...)

- Kword is more a DTP package then a word processor. Every DTP package
acts as I described earlier. (which is mostly to counter your Word example :)

You say this is more difficult to implement, while this might be so; it is not
a reason to change the interface. Any program should foremost be designed to
be useable!

And your suggestion that Kword is not usable with this... Well thanks for saving
us all from total unusability! :-)

OK, to make everyone happy. What about this:
  - Being in edit-text mode (F4) go down one view-port with page-down.
    use shift page-down to go one-viewport down AND select the text.
  - Being in edit-frames mode (F5) move the viewport one-viewport down
     and map SHIFT-pagedown to going one paper-size down.

I need opinions on this one!

(please keep this a koffice@kde.org discussion)